3.19.2013

Briefing

This is absolutely perfect. And also preparing me for getting in way over my head.

I know it's been a bit since my last update - to my credit, though, there's been an open draft sitting here for a week and a half. Spring break is this week, and without campus time, I'm sans internet for most of it. So...here are some updates.

A verdict was reached in the Steubenville case. This article is particularly interesting. At some point this week, I also saw another interesting analysis of the comparison between Americans' reactions to the gang rape in India, and to this. If I can track that down again, I'll link it in.

Senators Portman and Clinton both came out for marriage equality. The question a lot of people are asking is, what took Hillary so long?

A couple of weeks ago, we had a screening for The Invisible War. Kori Cioca, Jeremiah Arbogast, and Gary Noling were all panelists, and Terri Spahr Nelson acted as moderator. It was an amazing discussion and I know we all appreciated them being present and coming to talk with us. In honor of them, this fantastic clip where Senator Gillibrand rips the military a new one.

Personal updates:
I have recently been accepted to the Women In Leadership and Learning (WILL) Program at the University of Cincinnati beginning in Fall 2013. This is an undergraduate program, with both curricular and extra-curricular components, focusing on feminism and activism in a university environment, the culmination of which is a team action-research project.

I sent in my proposal for the Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship, as well. I'm a bit nervous, because I'm still in the process of pulling my GPA back up after a couple of slumpy quarters in the beginning, but I think after so many revisions and help with edits from amazing people, my proposal might be strong enough to help.

I have also applied to the Racial Awareness Program at UC, and am currently trying to decide between a week-long intensive program or a year-long one.

I am also looking for a part-time position in something more relatable to my studies. This would preferably be a paid position, but I understand that's difficult, especially with non-profits currently. Ideally, it would be with a women's center, a crisis shelter, or an LGBTQ-affiliated organization, working three to four days a week. If you know of anything locally, or even semi-local, please let me know via email ( medina1erica@gmail.com ).

I am also looking for guest posters for Shiksa Chic, or topic suggestions. If you are interested in doing a post, or have something you'd like to see up here, you can also send those to my email. I'll respond as quickly as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment