1.26.2013

Introductions

Today is just going to be a brief introduction to who I am and the intent of this endeavor. I might briefly discuss some of my goals, challenges I'm facing, or my dogs. Either way, it's very nice to meet you. I'm Erica (my birth name), or Malcha, if I go by the Hebrew name I was given at a young age. A little bit about myself: I'm in my early twenties. I work at a bookstore and have three dogs. I reside in Cincinnati, OH., where I attend the University of Cincinnati and am studying English Literature, Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Judaic, and Religious Studies. I believe that statement requires a few disclaimers. I do not intend to "preach" what I believe is correct to any of you. I'm merely spouting my own concerns, conceptualizations, and theories. In fact, let me clarify even more carefully: I do not consider myself "religious." At least not at the moment. I believe there are astronomical differences between religion and spirituality, but at the same time they are interdependent. While I consider myself an Atheist, I am finding that self-identification to be more and more fuzzy as time goes on. I am actually taking a very challenging class at the moment that is forcing me to rethink everything I knew about this topic. I abandoned religion and everything that went with it after I was burned by my home synagogue. I don't mean literally - I grew up in a Messianic synagogue; but through their teachings, my mother learned that I was somehow less as a lesbian. She still loves me unconditionally, but not the "sin," and she can't associate with the "sin." (I'm happy to say that after quite a few very hard years my mother and I are on the right track, although I haven't "come out" about my most recent identity crisis.) While I still can't say that I believe in a G/god, or a G/goddess, I have started to value my ancestral traditions as being a part of who I am, even aside from religion. A core focus of my studies at the moment is on femininity in Judaism and the interaction of that with changing gender roles. The purposes of this blog include, but are not limited to: a home to record "feminist" articles, critiques, and essays I admire, find relevant to my study, or just really enjoy; sometimes a home to notes, brainstormings, etc. relating to texts I am reading, or papers I am writing; maybe even the full text of papers I am writing at some point - if I should wish to use this as a writing portfolio. I also hope it will become a vehicle of discourse for those interested in any of these fields, for friends I don't really get to talk to because I'm so busy "getting schooled," or for those who simply want to know, what the hell am I talking about? I'll also be featuring a few other writers on similar subjects (I don't know if it counts as featuring if I don't have any readers, but still). If you have any questions, suggestions, or just want to say hi, feel free to drop a comment, or shoot me an email at [ medina1erica@gmail.com ]. Obviously, without the brackets or spaces..

No comments:

Post a Comment