1.27.2013

Religion AND Spirituality

DISCLAIMER: This post actually has very little to do with feminism. I'm just getting started, and this has been bugging me all week. religion:
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. 2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion. 3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions. 4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion. 5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

spirituality:

1. the quality or fact of being spiritual. 2. incorporeal or immaterial nature. 3. predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life, etc.; spiritual tendency or tone. 4. Often, spiritualities. property or revenue of the church or of an ecclesiastic in his or her official capacity.

(Definitions courtesy of dictionary.com.)

The idea for this post came from a class discussion earlier this week. Our professor asked us to define "spirituality" and "religion" as we thought of them personally. By the end of fifteen minutes, we had filled up the entire whiteboard with some very contradictory definitions, and some very similar ones. Her intention was to show us that one does not necessarily decide between religion or spirituality, but that religion and spirituality can be simultaneous. Quite a few of the students (myself included) had a more positive experience of spirituality. I cannot speak for everyone when I say that historically, I had seen spirituality as a more open-minded, loving relationship with self, universe, G/god, whatever it is that you believe in - when I had been rejected and criticized by members of various "religions." I didn't ever think of them as intertwined, because in my experience, members of each had approached me completely differently.

In the (going on) four weeks of this class I have had, this is easily the second or third time I've had a belief/life-changing revelation. I have had to redefine these words to imagine a bigger, less judgmental picture. Yes, I admit it. Based on my individual experiences at the hands of extremists, fanatics, Bible-thumpers - whatever you want to call them - I had been unfairly judging everyone else involved. I realized I had become the very person I swore I'd never be. So, I've been thinking about this all week and trying to decide whether or not it's reached other areas of my life. I'm still working on that. That isn't what this post is about.

Here are a few key points that came from our brainstorming and discussion:

  • We came up with two new themes. Up until now we had an existing two: voice, and power (which I see a bit of resemblance in). We discovered definition and relationship this time.
  • religion: institutional, categorical, norms, absolute. Rooted in experience of ecstasy that groups and communities share (Ochs, pg 6), experiences are individual but also shared and symbolic of larger groups (Beal). Reflection-guided (?); moral code applied to give meaning. Restraints, rules. Buildings, structural. Understanding spirituality (personal) through structures others have created.
  • spirituality: individual, reflection, developing relationship. Full of life. "Religious" without strict doctrine. Knowing; not merely knowing, but also being and doing. Personal connection.
  • Another key excerpt from my notes for this class:

    We can cross religious boundaries without violating our religious home (the traditions we were raised in and maintain a connection to), because of our spiritual essence.

    So what did I learn this week?

    I learned that spirituality is, at its essence, religion - leveled up. If religion is a Pokemon, and that Pokemon is Pichu, then spirituality is a vamped-up version of Raichu. While religion, as I understand it at this moment, focuses on a shared belief and the development of a community, I come to understand spirituality as growth, on a spiritual level, following those essential beliefs, but as a thirst to know more and experience more. I see spirituality as experiment. In your religious life you maintain the laws and doctrines of your organized religious community, but your spiritual life is in your home. What you do to maintain your religious beliefs when you are behind closed doors; how you, as an individual being, come closer to G/god, nature, universe, etc.

    Here's a personal example.

    I genealogically identify as a Jew. As a Jew, I keep the traditions (aside from being kosher). I celebrate the High Holy Days and I go to temple for most of them, if my work schedule allows. I place a lot of value on my relationships, I'm opinionated and I speak so when I can. I don't necessarily believe in the Bible, not as being the "word of God," or as a series of true stories. I believe it is intended as a moral code, to guide us when we need it. I also think you have to take it in context. Morals and relationships were very different when the Bible was initially being written. Times, they are a-changing. I'm not a great Jew, but I do try. That's my religion; It's what I do when surrounded by others similar to me, with similar goals.

    My spirituality is quite different. I find my spirituality when I do meditations, when I ride horses, when I take my dogs to the park on a warm spring day and let them run crazy while I read, or when I get a new tattoo with a significant personal meaning. I feel spiritual when I study other religions, cultures, and traditions, because then I'm not only learning more about others, but more about myself. When I drink a cup of tea or smoke a cigarette or read a friend's dissertation, I feel spiritual. These are all things I do at home, mostly alone. It doesn't concern going to heaven or being buried in a proper cemetery. It also doesn't concern others and how they view my decisions.

    On that note, how would you define religion? Spirituality? How would you say that correlates with your definition of feminism? What is the importance to feminism? (Yes, I'm completely trying to set the stage for my next post, and I'm using you to do it. Sorry.)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment